Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Chapter 5

Self Esteem and Identity are powerful sources in our lives, We are often unaware of the negative and bad effects that these two things have. At a young age our self esteem and identity are noticed. It often happens in school, where we try to make ourselves feel better no matter what we say or do to others.This is frustrating to me. Children are teasing and mocking other students because it makes them feel better about themselves. This chapter asks "Who am I?" and the question really comes down who do people think I am? We rely on feedback from other people to gain information about who we are. This is not right. We need to ask Who am I? Who am I as a Christian, as a friend, as a student. It does not matter what others think but it does matter what Christ thinks.

4 comments:

  1. I liked your reflection, and I am glad that you brought up those points. It is very true that these kinds of events happen in schools, and it probably happens far more often than we think. We should look at ourselves first and not heighten our self-esteem by making other people feel worse about themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree that we receive our identity from Christ. Just gotta keep our eyes focused in, hey?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your point of saying it doesn't matter what others think, it matters what Christ thinks. A lot of people struggle with this and let their inabilities cloud their judgment. It just comes down to what we put our focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm again reminded of my responsibility as a mother to teach my children to remain connected to Jesus' promises over them so they don't rely on the world and others to give them a sense of hope or purpose.

    ReplyDelete