Thursday, September 15, 2016

Chapter 1-2

When I first started reading Disunity in Christ I did not really feel like reading it. But once I got started I really started to enjoy it. The first chapter talks about Cleveland's viewpoint on the differences between Christians.  Right Christian vs. Wrong Christian. No one is perfect and in reality there is not a right or wrong Christian.  We often think that the wrong Christian is someone who doesn't attend church on a regular basis, and they probably lack cross-cultural sensitivity. I often think that I am a "right" Christian and that consists of going to church, reading the Bible, and going to a Christian school. Well what I think this is complete bogus. Right and wrong Christians is just a label! Who are we to judge others based on their faith. It shouldn't matter to us. As a Christian we need to stop worrying about what others are doing rather worry about what we are doing, and what we can do better. We still need to be a disciple to others and tell them about Christ, but we need to do it in a careful matter. 

The second chapter was really interesting to me. This chapter was deeper because it was about what our future home will look like, heaven. She pictures what a right and wrong Christian would look like. Everyone would pick which group of Christians they wanted to be with. I do not think this is what heaven will look like. There will be no more judging we will all be together in a perfect world in perfect unity. 

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't expecting much either, probably just another book with some fruity language about loving each other. So far there hasn't been much to irritate me within the DiC, and I like you really appreciate the way Cleveland immediately reaches out to strike the audience with a lil dose of conviction. It's definitely a good thing for us to consider the labels we give people, and where these labels come from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with that there is no such thing as a right or wrong Christian. We can tend to get caught up in our beliefs about other people and what they should be like, but it is not up to us to decide what people should be like, even if they don't fit in our little "bubble" of who we want them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your honesty--I'm glad she has your attention!

    ReplyDelete